[MCR] Mt Athabasca

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Tue Aug 31 20:22:11 EDT 2010

Took a run at Mt Athabasca today, we made it as high as the base of
the Silverhorn in light to moderate snowfalls and deteriorating
visibility. Moderate winds gusting to strong at times, were
redistributing the snow into windslabs up to 35cm in places. Snow
depths at 2700m were highly variable, but averaged 20cm. Many
crevasses were brushed over with weak bridges, attentive route finding
and probing was necessary.

On our descent we saw fresh debris from a loose sz 1.5 avalanche
starting off the silverhorn and running across the ramp.

Another wave of precipitation and wind is forecast to push through
again tonite and early tomorrow. It may take a couple of days for
these snow instabilities to settle out.

Andrew Langsford

IFMGA / ACMG Mountain Guide
www.alpinemountainexperience.ca