[MCR] Whitewater backcountry, southern Selkirks

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Fri Dec 3 11:03:52 EST 2010

Yesterday I skied into the Prospector's area of Whitewaters's
'slackcountry'. The most notable feature is the shallow showpack, just
over 100cm at 2100m. A hasty pit revealed two crusts. The early
November crust is about 40cm from the ground. The other is about 40cm
above that. These layers seemed to be well bonded, the upper crust
having the weaker bond.

I didn't see much in the way of wind loading. I managed to knock off
some small pillows of soft wind slab in a few places along the ridge,
but felt they weren't too serious. I'd suspect these pillows could be
more significant in areas that saw more wind or where the terrain
concentrated the wind.

The ski run down was pretty good, nice powder sitting on a strong
crust. The November crust is keeping the skis off the rocks. I had to
watch out for numerous partly buried trees, stumps and rocks, typical
hazards for this time of the season.

Play safe out there.

Craig Hollinger,
ACMG Assistant Ski Guide.