[MCR] Coast Range - Cerise Ck

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Tue Dec 21 01:58:29 EST 2010

Up in the Cerise Ck drainage today doing a terrain travel training session
for U of Calgary - ASARC.

Approach was better than I expected with smooth travel up the usual winter
route. Certainly a significant number of tracks from the weekend in the
usual spots - around the hut, etc.

Our route went up the NW shoulder of Vantage, down the NE, then N fan. Then
a few other lines on the east side of the valley. Highest elevation was 2250
m.

Weather was coolish (-15C warming to -7C), and thin overcast cloud just
barely obscured the surrounding peaks for most of the day. Winds light.
Light snow on and off.

Approximately 20-30 cm of recent lower density snow overlies a somewhat thin
but firm mid pack (present as a weak crust below 1800 m). Lower pack seems
still unconsolidated in many areas and consists of well-developed facets (to
size 3) in some locations near ridge top. Snowpack depth avg 125 -150 cm.

Snowpack tests at one location near ridge top showed hard RP shears down 40
cm on small facets.

No whumpfing or new avalanches observed. Old (last week?) Size 3 off of
Joffre NE face ran almost to valley bottom.

Our hazard assessment was 'Moderate' for elevations skied, although we
weren't ready to jump into anything too committing just yet, considering the
weak base, as well as reports of some recent surprising slides in the
Whistler area.

Have fun and enjoy the good snow!

Brian Gould
Mountain Guide