[MCR] Healy Pass

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Mon Feb 1 09:26:53 EST 2010

Ski toured Jan 29-31 in the Healy Pass/Egypt Lake/Simpson Pass area.

Found the December 29 surface hoar on all aspects between 2000 m and 2300 m.
This layer was down 35 cm and was producing mod-hard compression test
results with sudden collapse characteristics. Interestingly, we experienced
very frequent whumphing, especially in low angle, open glades. Ski cutting
on steeper terrain did not produce any results. We nonetheless treated
avalanche terrain below tree line with caution.

The surface hoar layer that was covered on Jan 30 seems well preserved and
is now down 5 cm in the Healy Pass area. This layer could become a concern
in the future.

Grant Meekins
Alpine Guide, Assistant Ski Guide

Yamnuska Mountain Adventures