[MCR] Sea of Vapors, Feb 1

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Tue Feb 2 12:26:05 EST 2010

Climbed half way up Sea of Vapors with my buddy, Blitz, yesterday,
Feb 1. Didn't see any gophers, hoping for a bunch more winter. There
is a 'modern' trail blaze marking the short cut trail into the
drainage -old timers use to blaze trails by whacking a scar into tree
trunks with a wood axe ... this blaze was picked in with an ice pick!

Good trail leading to the route right now. The route is challenging.
Postscriptum is thin at the crux with patches of rock showing through
and a fragile spooky curtain for the right foot. I don't think that
it will support many more ascents, treat it delicately. The bolts
that make for the uncomfortable hanging belay at the top of
Postscriptum are corroding, as are all of the fixed pins on the
Whipper Traverse. We stepped down one meter from the aforementioned
bolt belay and drytooled across 2 meters of rock to get to the Sea (I
climbed to the top of the Postscriptum ice and placed an overhead
screw, and clipped the first rusty piton before climbing back down to
the belay, then one meter down to start the traverse). Thin and
serious climbing for 10 meters. I placed a couple of 12 cm screws,
one 16, two angle pitons, and clipped an old rusty knifeblade. Having
a couple of stubbies and 4 x 12 cm screws is nice (I tend to place
more gear than many, no one has ever been able to convince me that
taking a 60 foot fall is better than taking a 20 foot one). 30 meters
out from the Postscriptum belay the Sea becomes a proper green and
blue ice climb, and it is getting more water up there and will get
fatter yet.

UIAGM/IFMGA Mountain Guide
http://www.barryblanchard.ca
barryb3 at telus.net