[MCR] Rockies, Chickadee Valley

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Wed Feb 3 22:54:33 EST 2010

Skied up Chickadee Valley today to the Chimney Col at 2700 m. Our plan was to go through the col, down the glacier and come out through Boom Lake. Excellent ski conditions on the glacier and moraines, with about 30 cm of low density fluff sitting on a well settled snowpack. Ski penetration was about knee deep near the top. Excellent skiing conditions and Low avalanche danger where we were. This will change immediately as soon as the wind blows, it warms up, or the sun comes out as there is tonnes of snow available for wind transport - its been adding up over the week. But today . . . deep powder skiing on glaciers. A rare thing for the Rockies in February!
We did not ski down the glacier to Boom Lake, as the light was bad and there was alot of crevasses visible. If you go here, plan on using a rope unless you have perfect visibility as it looked pretty sporty through there. Snow depth on the glacier was >250cm.
Grant StathamMountain Guide