[MCR] Riptide

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Mon Feb 8 13:08:30 EST 2010

After Rob's MCR pic and the thought of following an approach trail we climbed "Riptide" on Mt. Patterson on Feb 7th.

The route is a pure ice climb at the moment. We climbed it in 3 x 60m+ pitches(we had 70s) and found good pro in most areas after digging through the weird chandeliery/snice mix. Found good belays and decent V-threads for the rap down.

Pitch 1 - WI 6, P2-5+, P3-6+R

We skied in and out in the dark and generally found the snowpack quite stable. Ski-cutting on steeper convexities produced no results, heard no cracking/whumpfing. No avalanches observed.

The snowpack from treeline and below was still weak and shallow.

Kristopher Irwin
A.C.M.G. Assistant Alpine Guide
Banff, Alberta

403-763-7018