[MCR] Hankin Mountain - Kitseguecla Valley - Bulkley Valley

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Mon Feb 8 20:58:37 EST 2010

A short day trip to the Hankin Mountain area allowed us to get to know
this area better. We reached the alpine in the early afternoon and had
no time to do much. Saw some tracks to ridgelines. I dug a pit at
treeline and was shocked to find only 100 cm of snow. That seems to be
it. The top 30 cm fell on top of a crust complex from the rain in early
January. In a compression test, that layer failed when hitting the block
hard with a sudden collapse. An extended column test did not propagate
across the block. The bottom 30 cm are big facets. We saw no evidence of
avalanches. There were small cornices at the ridgetops and the steep
terrain below the ridges looked like the snowpack is quite variable. It
was -2 degrees at 1500 m. Skiing quality was reasonable, but the tree
runs sure have a lot of bumps from logs and stumps. The area is getting
a fair amount of use and the access is very good and close to the highway.

--
Christoph Dietzfelbinger
IFMGA/ UIAGM Mountain Guide