[MCR] Selkirk Mountains, Slocan Ranges north of Meadow Mt. west of the Lardeau River

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Mon Feb 15 21:17:13 EST 2010

Spent the last two weeks (Jan 30 to Feb 14) cat skiing in the Lardeu
River area just north of the town of Meadow Creek. We skied an
elevation range of 2300 to 1500m entirely on a NE aspect in steep, treed
terrain and through the occasional opening and clear cut.

Most notable was the benign weather: Little snowfall and mild
temperatures. This kept the stability good for most of the time with
only moderate surface sloughing in steeper terrain. We did wake up the
Dec 29 surface hoar layer in late January with ski cutting in steep
terrain. Some whumphing was noted in open low angled terrain as well.
The layer settled down again in February. Compression tests on this
layer were in the moderate to hard range.

Another new surface hoar layer rapidly developed on all aspects in early
February and was buried on the 9th. This layer later increased the
surface sloughing problem again. Increasing temperatures on February 13
produced moist surface snow below 1700m. This snow became more cohesive
producing very soft slabs with no consequences at these elevations.

Overall the ski quality was good, but with the lack of new snowfall we
had to do some hunting the last few days to find fresh tracks for the
guests. Even with the good stability we skied cautiously on steep open
terrain to manage the sloughing.

The weather forecast doesn't look promising though with continued mild
weather and little precipitation. It'll change eventually.

Play safe.

Craig Hollinger,
ACMG Assistant Ski Guide.