[MCR] Conditions: Selkirks North of Revelstoke

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Thu Feb 18 19:49:50 EST 2010

Further to the Special Public Avalanche Warning posted by Greg and numerous
other postings by other fellow guides I thought I¹d post a few of my
observations today.

I was teaching a CAA Avalanche Operations Level 1 course today into the
Selkirk¹s just north of Revelstoke (just north of Mt Revelstoke National
Park). Clear skies meant that we got a really good look around, we were at
2350 at 9:30am and spent the entire day up high.

The helicopter remotely triggered 2 large avalanches ­ 1 Size 3 and 1 large
size 2, on W and NW aspects at around 2350m. The propagations were
remarkable. Both avalanches started on the Feb 8 surface hoar layer and
stepped down to the late January surface hoar layers ­ they ran fast and
far.

We also ski cut 2 size 1¹s on small, low angled terrain. On a W aspect at
the end of the day I skied over a roll and over a dozen shooting cracks
darted out in front of my skis. There was cracking and obvious signs of
instability all day, on all aspects.

We avoided avalanche terrain all day. Compression tests were showing easy,
sudden results. For those who know the Propagation Saw Test the Feb 8
surface hoar layer failed dramatically after only 5cm of cutting. YIKES!

Be careful out there folks, its very touchy.

Ian Tomm
CAA Professional Member
ACMG Ski Guide

P.S. Special thanks to the guides and staff at Selkirk Tangiers Heliskiing
for supporting professional avalanche training with a heli-lift to study the
snowpack in their area. Much appreciated!