[MCR] Coal Miner's Daughter

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Fri Feb 19 19:47:55 EST 2010

Guided Coal Miner's Daughter today, Feb 19. Refreshingly cold in
Field at 7:00 this morning, -16 C via the car thermometer. Good to
park in the "Monarch" campground parking lot, which has been plowed,
and is on the left at the baracade to the Yoho Valley Road (signed
"Monarch"). There is a snow shoe track that leads from there to the
slopes below the climb. Our up track, possibly the first of the year,
is set in sparse trees on the climber's left.

The route is a good adventure right now and probably a half grade, or
grade, harder than the guidebook 4. No evidence of any other ascents
this year. We belayed on the left and climbed about 20 meters of
steep ice with a back supporting chimney for meters 15-20 (it felt
like a poor man's version of the first 20 meters of Pilsner Pillar at
present). Then a strenuous pull around to the right frontside and
after a few meters you can stand on a ledge. The next 10 meters are
like an exaggerated Cascade crux, ie: a delicate window pane with a
fair amount of water falling plumb behind, but longer and steeper
than Cascade. We belayed anchored to the old 12 x 12 inch wooden
posts supporting an old mine portal. The narrow gauge track and ties
provided a good standing platform. Overall a fun and adventurous
route. The sun was on the route from about 10:30- 11:30 am, then it
set behind Mt Stephen, but was back on the climb after we drove east
from coffee in Field -about 1:00 pm.

We saw a party starting Silk Tassel at about 11:30, when we were
driving to Field for coffee. I feel that I should reiterate that the
start zones for avalanches on Silk Tassel are at the summit of Mt
Field, some 4000 feet above the route. Those start zones had been
getting sun since 9:00 am? Best to get Silk Tassel done at dawn on
these sunny days. Further the belayer stood out in front of the route
where I believe several people have been hurt, and two killed, over
the years. Having been there two days ago I know that there is an ice
cave that you can belay in (we did, early in the morning on
Wednesday) and be much less exposed. I mention all of this in the
spirit of safer climbing.

The KIcking Horse River has opened up from the bridge at the base of
the Spiral Tunnel Hill to below Super Bock. The river is also surface
flooding the ice, take a good look before walking out onto it.

UIAGM/IFMGA Mountain Guide
http://www.barryblanchard.ca
barryb3 at telus.net
1 403 609 4615