[MCR] Rogers Pass

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Sun Feb 21 15:19:53 EST 2010

Hi,
I wanted to add a few more observations to the other MCR's that have been posted recently.
Just back from an AST 2 course where our group witnessed some incredibly unstable snow conditions in Rogers Pass.

1. A size 2.5 remotely triggered slab on the east aspect of the 8812 ridge with the crown pulling back to almost ridge top and with a slope angle of only 20 degrees at the fracture line.
2. We then remotely triggered a large cornice collapse onto the existing bed surface which stepped down to the deeper Jan 24th surface hoar layer.
3. An east facing slope at 1900m that I had skied 2 weeks before and we could still see our ski tracks in it failed as we skinned across the top of it producing a size 2 slab. The slope angle at the crown wall was 28 degrees and we could see our ski tracks in the bed surface.

Despite the fact that I've been doing this job for awhile now, some of the events this week I've only read or heard about but never witnessed - testament to the incredibly weak snow pack that exists in this mountain range.
Be safe out there.

Steve Blagbrough.
Yamnuska Mountain Adventures.