[MCR] Selkirk Mountains, Whitewater Ski area backcountry

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Mon Jan 11 00:35:36 EST 2010

Spent the last three days skiing in the backcountry near the Whitewater
Ski area.

Air temperatures increased from -6C on Friday to around 0 today. There
seemed to be an inversion today, valley temperatures were still below
freezing. On the ski out this afternoon I noticed the snow was
getting wet on the surface. We'll have to see what the approaching
Pineapple Express does to the freezing levels in the next few days.

The Dec 29 surface hoar was easy to find below 1700m elevation and was
down about 40cm. The well-preserved crystals were 25mm in size. Above
this elevation it was harder to find and the crystals were about 10-15mm
where found. Pretty much non-existent above 1900m. Stability tests on
this layer were in the moderate to hard range with planar shears.
Definite absence of recent avalanche activity although there were plenty
of snowballs rolling down the slopes this afternoon. Despite the
apparent stability, I still kept to conservative lines and avoided steep
open slopes. You still can have fun in simple terrain.

Play safe.

Craig Hollinger,
ACMG Assistant Ski Guide.