[MCR] Sorcerer conditions & approach notes

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Wed Jan 13 11:49:36 EST 2010

Climbed Sorcerer yesterday and found it in the perfect condition. Either hooking or one swing sticks. Approach Notes: Still need fairly good clearance- small 4x4 SUV O.K. but not cars. A 4X4 car or with chains could park at the bottom of the big hill and make it back up no problem. We parked at the North Ghost river crossing as the ice shelves are big and for Sorcerer one gains nothing from going further. From the road river crossing, back track 30 meters along shoreline to a large ice shelf that bridges the river. Another one is found for the next fording. Walk left along the far shore to the cut-line trail. When going into the Sorcerer drainage the trail forks. Take the left fork that gains the small rib- it is much better walking. The trail has been worked on and flagged for a good distance- A big thanks to who ever put the effort in. The trail is very fast right now, we took it slow (same client as Whitemans the previous day) and still made good timing. We climbed to the highest series of Abalacovs, 25 meters or so below the well rooted cornice and had plenty of rope (60M) to make it back to the good but poorly placed rappel anchor in the big cave. Strong to moderate winds in the main Ghost but only light winds at Sorcerer.
Happy swinging, Eric

Eric Dumerac- IFMGA/ACMG Mountain Guide
iceXperts.ca 877-309-7673
eric at IGBguides.com