[MCR] South Coast,Flute, Oboe Creek

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Mon Jan 18 00:09:24 EST 2010

I was skiing on the NE side of Flute into the Oboe drainage today. Very good
if not excellent quality snow with about 30cm ski pen and 60 cm foot
penetration.

The last few days of new snow is still bonding a bit loosely. We could ski
cut steeper areas and get small slab releases to about 45cm down from the
surface. A pit at about 1800m showed easy and moderate results 20cm and 45cm
down from the surface. The 45cm test popped out very clean on a layer of
stellar. The upper 45 cm was Fist to a hard 4 Finger density. Saw no new
natural avalanche activity.

All this encouraged conservative decisions. The Avalanche Hazard at tree
line was Considerable today. The weather cleared up beautifully before
sunset.

Dave Sarkany

SG