[MCR] Rogers Pass Jan 18 - 20

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Thu Jan 21 04:46:52 EST 2010

NRC: The surface hoar is down 80 - 90 cm at treeline. We had a massive
whumpf while digging a pit. A couple more when three of us jumped together.
The layer is hard to trigger, but if triggered has the potential to release
large avalanches. Ski quality was good. A thin, breakable sun crust formed
on more sun exposed aspects.

Hospital Bowl: Great skiing, only a bit wind stiff on some spots. We did not
find the late December surface hoar above 2200m. A pit below Ursus Minor
Col showed a strong and well consolidated snowpack with a thin ice lense
about 80 cm down that seemed to bond well to the layers above and below.
Lots of old avalanche debris from the last storm cycle on various aspects.
New surface hoar was building rapidly around tree line.

Lookout Notch: Strong wind effect in the entire Illecilleweat drainage
above 1600-1700 m.

Overall improving conditions. Still watch out for the late December surface
hoar in particular in unreleased slopes around treeline and large steep
openings below

treeline. This layer is still good for surprises.

Thomas Exner

Mountain Guide (IFMGA/UIAGM)

OnTop ltd

www.ontopmountaineering.com <http://www.ontopmountaineering.com/>