[MCR] Southern Selkirks: Valkyr range

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Mon Jan 25 11:53:30 EST 2010

Just finishing off a week in the Valkyr Range south of Nakusp.

We ski tested some small steep slopes at treeline but haven't seen
any avalanches all week (human triggered or natural).

Primary concerns are old hard wind slabs in the alpine and to a
lesser extent at treeline; and two persistent surface hoar layers in
the top 40-60 cm of the snowpack. Both the windslabs and surface hoar
layers are showing "pop" characteristics with compression and
rutschblock tests but haven't been reactive to our skis. No whumpfs
or cracking noted this week at all.

We just buried another surface hoar layer yesterday but it is only
down a cm so there are no concerns there yet.

Still good skiing in sheltered areas.

Mark Klassen
Mountain Guide
www.alpinism.com