[MCR] Rogers Pass conditions January 24-30

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Sun Jan 31 18:48:01 EST 2010

This is an MCR Summary put together by the students of the Assistant Ski
Guide Training in Rogers Pass from Jan. 24th - 30th, 2010.

Little Sifton Traverse - Skied up via Teddy Bear Trees and across to upper
Grizzly shoulder at approx 1800m. 250cm (HS) Height of Snow in the alpine
below Little Sifton. Dug a pit just below the summit down 150cm's. Found no
evidence of the burried Surface Hoar layers. (HST) 15cm's of Storm Snow
overlaid a well settled midpack with no other significant weaknesses in the
snowpack. Cornice formed on the NW side of the Little Sifton Col seemed a
bit bigger on approach than it actually was, only overhanging the slope by a
meter or so, with easy access to the slope below coming in on climbers
right. Moraine down to Puff Daddy Left, had good ski quality on more shaded
aspects, but found some sun crust formation on Southerly solar aspects. Ski
quality at Treeline and below is not great, this exit is getting a lot of
traffic/abuse, and the old ski tracks are starting to harden up.

Tupper Traverse - We chose to skin up climbers left of the main drainage,
left of the normal ascent to the Hermit alpine. From the ridge down onto the
Tupper Glacier we found 300cm (HS) Height of snow at 2525m. Still some
visible sags in the crevasses at the base of the steep north face of Tupper
above. Good ski quality down through the Cascade Creek slide path, with the
exception of a small temperature crust forming on the solar/skiers left side
of the path. We were able to skier trigger small slabs about 20cm deep on
the gully walls below 1300m near the highway on what appeared to be a buried
rain crust.

Young¹s Peak - Lots of downflow winds produced a variable depth hard slab
above the toe of the Illecillewaet Glacier. We found variable snow-depth
(50cm-300+cm) on the glacier with many visible sagging snow bridges over
crevasses . On the ridge itself, cornice hazard formed on the East side of
the ridge is a real concern and both our groups gave this thing a lot of
space. From the top of Young¹s Peak, the first pitch of the seven steps has
a semi filled in crown on skiers right, and bare glacial ice below on the
bed surface from two slides that pulled out earlier this season. Variable
skiing down to the hut.

Lilly - Dome Col - Asulkan - Lot's of (SH) surface hoar up to 20mm observed
on surface near valley bottom. There is over 200cm of snow in most places in
this valley and lots of avalanche activity from the cycle two weeks ago.
Still lots of blue ice showing through on the glaciers but still had
consistent good coverage. Easy boot pack up to the Dome Col. Visible sags on
big convexity of the main Dome Glacier run.

Bruins Pass - 8812 - Skinned up Bruins ridge, found shallow and faceted snow
on the SW side of ridge. Skied down north glacier on back side of Bruins
and skinned up to 8812 col. Glacier had 300 cm of well settled snow and
crevasses covered. Jan 25 surface hoar was down 5cm, well preserved.
Surface hoar was found on the surface all the way up to near the top of 8812
and 5mm in size. We turned around 30m from the summit when we found very
easy shears down 20cm on the Jan 25th surface hoar with soft slab above.
Skied out on easy side of Bruins ridge found sluffs running fast and far on
Jan 25th surface hoar.

Perley Rock - heavily tracked. lots of old avalanche debris falline below
Perley. visible glide crack on breakover mid slope.

General Observations - Our observations as the week went on definitely built
confidence in the snowpack through all elevation ranges. The Dec. 29th (SH)
layer still seems to be found in the 1800m - 2100m elevation range at (TL)
treeline down ~ 100cm in non-wind affected areas. This was most prevalent on
North and North-East aspects but we did find exceptions to that throughout
the week through all elevations. Most pit results on this layer were in the
hard range but when we saw failure, easy shears were almost always sudden
and planar. We tried to stay clear of any features that held a shallow
snowpacks and would have potential for a skiers load to trigger a release on
this layer. There was still good skiing to be found in Alpine areas
protected from the wind as well as the trees on shady aspects. The hard
part is finding areas that haven¹t been too heavily skied yet.

--
Marc Piché
ACMG Mountain Guide