[MCR] bow peyto and out

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Mon Jul 5 09:55:48 EDT 2010

Just a few notes to add to Nick's Wapta notes. A group of us spent
July 1-4 going from Bow to Peyto and out. Climbed Olive on July 2.
Good coverage and travel with more snow than usual. Good travel from
Bow to Peyto on the 3rd, climbed Mt Thompson en route. Still a lot of
snow on Thompson, I have climbed Mt Thompson on the same day for
about 10 years with this year being the most coverage. Still big
cornices on summit ridge!!
The lower Peyto glacier seemed about normal.
From the hut we used access by the glacier hole access south of
hut, traversing high to the rock piles under Habel peak,and Weather
station to get to the ramp on the Peyto tongue. Good travel....ice
started where it flattens out.
No freeze on the 4th with rain over night and most of the way out. No
signs of any new activity but some sluffing on steep aspects. Weather
over the 4 days was unsettled, Coldest day was the 3rd.

Peter Amann

Peter Amann
Mountain Guide
pamann at incentre.net