[MCR] Bugaboos

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Sun Jul 11 08:23:16 EDT 2010

Hiked out of the Bugaboos on the 10th of July. The 5 days of sunny
weather melted the snow fast, however, there is still lots of snow
above the hut. Applebee campground is still under snow. Snow travel
is quite good, despite no true freezes overnight in the latter part of
the week. Boot top with the occasional full post hole next to a rock.

The Bugaboo-Snowpatch Col is in fine shape, with snow to the top and
good boot steps. The Bergschrund is just beginning to show a slight
sag on the left side, but is still fully bridged. Observed the usual
rockfall off the lower sections of the Kain Route into the col in the
afternoon, but otherwise very quiet and calm in the col.

We climbed the SE Ridge of Eastpost, Lion's Way, the Buckingham Route
(Enjoyable Way) on Snowpatch and a Whipping Post - Crescent ridge
climb on our last day. All were in great shape. The rock climbing on
Crescent Towers and Spire is in great shape. Anything too steep to
hold a lot of snow on the bigger spires (e.g. Sunshine Crack,
Buckingham route, etc) are ready to go although may be damp in places.

The Kain Route was climbed last week, although it was very snowy. The
West Ridge of Pigeon was not climbed, despite the fine weather, as it
is very snowy still.

Abby Watkins
ACMG Alpine Guide, Asst. Ski Guide