[MCR] Rockies: Tsar/Alexandra

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Mon Jul 26 23:07:05 EDT 2010

Banging around in the Wild West End the past few days. We climbed Mt
Tsar on July 24, flipped over to Rice Brook on July 25 and today
(July 26) climbed Mt Alexandra with an afternoon finish across the
Whiterose Traverse.

Excellent summer conditions although we found an annoying breakable
crust/postholing combination above 3000 m on west aspects on both
Tsar and Alexandra. Good firm snow everywhere else. If you have
crevasses at the firn line (about 2600 m in the Alexandra area) the
bridges/plugs are a bit suspect.

No avalanches and minimal rockfall were noted. Lots of icefalls
though including 3 size 4's off the north face of Bush Mountain today.

It's high summer out there. Bring the bug dope and sunscreen.

Mark Klassen
Mountain Guide
www.alpinism.com