[MCR] Lefroy and Victoria Conditions

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Tue Jul 27 11:57:44 EDT 2010

Up to Abbots Pass area over the 24-26th. Overnight lows were a balmy plus 6
degrees leaving a temporary but adequate overnight recovery of the snowpack.
Lefroy on the 25th provided us with boot top steps and we were able to short
rope most of the way but did run out a couple of pitches on the upper
sections where it was icy. The snow on west aspects was still in good shape
by 10am when we returned to the hut. Victoria the next day was another story
and despite a 4am start the east facing slopes had minimal freeze overnight
even with clear skies. By 7am most slopes of east to south aspects had
deteriorated to the point that we were concerned with point releases. The
descent down to the Huber glacier is quite straight forward at the moment;
and the snow in the gulleys on the west aspect was still firm at 12pm.
Huber glacier is in great conditions and the Huber ledges descent was free
of any snow.

Have a great summer!

James Blench

www.jamesblench.ca