[MCR] Mt Rogers, Rogers Pass, July 29-31, 2010

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Sat Jul 31 19:14:13 EDT 2010

Spent the last couple nights at the Hermit campground and climbed Mt Rogers,
Grant and Fleming Peaks yesterday with a 79 year old guest....I hope I am still
climbing that well when I reach his age.

Excellent conditions for cramponing up the Swiss Glacier to the Rogers-Grant col
in the morning.  Bergschrunds are becoming visible but easily passed on snow.
Crampons were also used on some ice on the North side of the the start to Swiss
Peaks traverse.  Dry rock on Grant and Fleming Peaks and good steps without
crampons back down from the Rogers-Grant col mid afternoon.

The Swiss-Truda col also looked in decent shape with a bit of ice showing down
low then snow to the top.  Tupper is dry and in good shape.

Lots of smoke in the air this morning which might affect overnight freezes in
the days to come.
 Cheers, Conrad Janzen
ACMG/IFMGA Mountain Guide
www.conradjanzenguiding.com