[MCR] Rockies, Mts Andromeda and Athabasca

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Fri Jun 4 11:00:03 EDT 2010

Guided on the middle Practice Gully on Mt Andromeda, June 1st. Some
post holing on the edges of the snow pack and glacier, but the night
was cold enough and the travel on the glacier supportive and
surprisingly good. The route is in good shape. The bergshrund is
mostly filled in, but still required some soft steps over the void
to pull over. We got ice screw anchors for all of the 7 or 8 pitches
that we climbed (we tuckered out on the cold hard ice one pitch from
the top and rapped the route off of abalakovs), had to dig through a
half meter of well bonded snow in the middle of the route to get
screws, but it was nice to have some step kicking, rather than ice
climbing, there. Cornices ring the top of the route, but I trusted
that I could get through on climber's left. Those cornices will start
to fail when it gets hot again, if not before.

June 3rd we approached the Silverhorn on Mt Athabasca but turned
around at the Nunatak -poor weather and we were moving slow. There is
several hundred meters of tedious wet post holing around the little
cliffs and horizontal morraine crest on the approach. Travel on the
glacier was supportive and good, little evidence of crevasses as yet.
As per usual I set a track low across the glacier while heading to
the Nunatak and of interest is that the serac that calved from the
near end of the North Ramp (May 29 or 30?) over ran the high trail
left by other parties but didn't make it to my low trail.

I was happy to be gone from there for 8 hours when my fellow guide,
Peter Amann, witnessed an avalanche come from half way up the
Silverhorn and run to the Nunatak. Sounds like it was a slab
avalanche triggered by rain, Peter?

www.barryblanchard.ca
www.yamnuska.com