[MCR] Selkirks - Kokanee Glacier Park - Grays Peak

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Sun Jun 27 20:00:35 EDT 2010

Hi All,

We climbed the North Face of Grays Peak today under mostly sunny skies.

We brought hedge clippers, shears and flagging tape to improve the access
through the forested section. It could use more work (and more flagging to
fill in the larger gaps), but if others clip more alders as they pop up from
the snow it should stay reasonable. When you reach the boulder field, it
can be skirted on the left and by continuing up and left into the trees you
will find more flagging leading to forested ramps that swing wide of the
rocky waterfall slabs.

We had good travel on firm snow all the way to the Kokanee-Grays Col,
despite a temp of +7.5C at 5am in the parking lot. Above the col (2540m)
the low angle NE slopes were more sun affected giving foot penetrations of
mid boot to boot top. By 11am we were able to trigger small surface sloughs
on a steep E aspect and were plunge stepping to our calves with the
occasional post hole on the descent. The west facing snow below the col
held up a bit better, but we were wringing our socks out at the parking lot.
Glad we didn't start any later.

Generally a fine day out with fantastic views and a wolverine sighting (you
don't see one of those everyday). Looks like some nice turns were had by
the party that brought their skis up yesterday(?)

Note that there is a bit of a cross ditch just north of Sunset Creek on the
access road that took us by surprise and bottomed out the car.

Enjoy,

Shaun King

Mountain Guide

www.mountainsense.ca