[MCR] Jasper National Park, The Andromeda Strain

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Thu Mar 11 10:44:30 EST 2010

Made an attempt on the Andromeda Strain yesterday, March 10th. Quite
cold in the wee hours, 4 am, - 18? A winter's day up there: cold dry
snow, numb fingers. We did the approach in boot soles and it took
about four hours to get up below the route. Snowshoes may have been
an asset once you get to the glacial areas, but you'd have to carry
them for at least half of the time.

Deep snow to trench up getting off of the glacier and onto the ice
border above the bergschrund (no problem getting over the schrund as
it is well filled in). That 30 meters of border ice was the last ice
that we saw for the 3 pitches that we climbed. Its a bummer for me to
think back to the three times that I ascended the lower half of the
route in 1983 (attempts and, eventual, first ascent of the route) and
remember the ice slopes and gullys that were there at that time. And
there was ice there on my one return to the route in 2006. Several
hot summers have melted all of that ice away now. Yesterday we had
snow, some supportive, some unsupportive, over dirty loose rock and
it was far from the quality climbing experience that it use to be.
Looked like another 3-4 ropelengths of the same to get to the steeper
climbing of the Direct, or classic traverse out right. We bailed.

I think that the route may be like what I hear the Eiger to be like
now -best in a normal winter ie: normal amounts of snowfall unlike
the draught that we're in, when accumulated and compressed snow can
fill in where the ice use to be ... still can't get ice screws into
that snow though.

Winds picked up to moderate as we walked away at 4 pm and the sky was
going to overcast, lots of snow blowing around.

www.barryblanchard.ca