[MCR] Rockies, Wapta Traverse, March 16-21

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Mon Mar 22 00:00:54 EDT 2010

Guided the Wapta traverse March 16-21.

16th opted to ski into Bow Hut rather than Peyto given the avalanche
cycle on the 12th and 13th. It seemed like a safer approach given the
number of skiers who had been in and out on those days and the fact
that many of the slopes that could be triggered had been triggered by
them. We witnessed a size 2 avalanche release from about 7500 feet on
the east aspect of Mt Jimmy Simpson at 11:00. The avalanche ran 3/4
of its path and was triggered by the sun. We got two settlement
whumpfs when we left the set track, to ski around avalanche debris
from the morraine, on the flats below Bow Hut.

17th we traversed to Peyto Hut through a white out and storm. Got one
whumpf when we stepped off of the glacier below Peyto Hut. Winds
sifted to the north overnight and blew strong at the ridgetops.

18th we switch backed up a wind scoured ridge on the SE end of Mt
Rhonnda and traversed to the summit then skied down to Bow Hut. The
skiing on the glacial tongue above the hut was great.

19th a clear day. Climbed Mt Olive and traversed to the Balfour hut.
Lots of wind affect on the icefield, winds switched back to west/
southwest.

20th traversed the high bench to Balfour High Col. Moderate west
winds with strong gusts. The bottleneck slope between the nunatak and
Mt Balfour was wind scoured with old skitracks elevated in some
places. Crevasses are well bridged. The snow at the high col is wind
sculpted and slow to ski, less wind affected the lower you go. Skied
up a 9500 foot peak 1 km NE of Mt Daly after getting to the Scott
Duncan Hut. Got a settlement at 9000 feet on the NW corner of the
peak were the wind had layed in a thicker slab.

21st white out and moderate wind from the south. We skied out the
Schiesser/Lomas exit with another guide party. A compression test on
the edge of the large east facing slope below Mt Niles gave easy
results (two taps from the wrist) on clean planar shears (sudden
planar) 10 and 50 cms down -we chose not to cross this slope but
skied down the valley bottom flats instead to about 8500 feet where
we ascended an east facing slope to regain the Schiesser/Lomas bench
(15 meters of boot packing). The first party up triggered a cornice
which fractured but only slabbed its top 30 cms off. This triggered a
size 1.5 slab from the 30 degree slope below. While traversing on
shallow ground 100 meters higher a second size 1.5 was remotely
triggered from a parallel slope of the same aspect and angle. We
skied down the skier's left side of the bench here giving the
corniced slopes on the right as wide a birth as possible. When we
turned onto the south and west aspects we were pleased to find a
supportive sun crust holding everything together. The rocket ride
down to Wapta Lodge wasn't as fast as it could be given it was
holding some new snow.

I'd rate the hazard in this drainage as High in the Alpine,
Considerable at Treeline, and Moderate Below Treeline today, and
advise not cutting across the slope below Mt Niles

www.yamnuska.com