[MCR] Carlsberg Column, Yoho National Park, Canadian Rockies (March 23)

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Tue Mar 23 19:09:19 EDT 2010

Carlsberg Column, Yoho National Park, Canadian Rockies (March 23)

-1 C departing the car at 8 a.m. and 5 C when we returned to the car
at noon. Overcast skies all morning kept the sun hidden, which made me
a happy guide. It would be best to put crampons on at the car as the
approach trail is pure ice.

Believe it or not, but the so-called "approach" pitch felt like the
crux. Currently, it is a three-foot-wide, six-inch-thick curtain. It
felt fragile but luckily it is riddled with rattly, insecure hooks so
I didn't need to bash. Definitely wouldn't put screws in it as they
would poke right out the other side. Unless that is your thing, I
would recommend doing the scramble around right to get to the climb
proper (I would myself next time).

The main climb is really wet but offers excellent ice--the one swing
kind of stuff that dreams are made of. There wasn't a single hook,
which was a pleasant change from the standard beaten-out, late-season
ice. In retrospect, I wish I was wearing full Gore-tex today instead
of soft shell. Did I already say it was wet?

Sean Isaac
ACMG Alpine Guide