[MCR] Bow Summit

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Sun Mar 28 01:17:48 EDT 2010

A beautiful afternoon today at Bow Summit. Still some decently soft skiing
left especially on anything that tips remotely northerly. Unfortunately that
is also were you find the surface hoar buried about 35 cm deep and well
preserved (10 – 12 mm) at this typical treeline terrain. Frequent wumpfs and
easy to moderate sudden planar shear make for a pretty spooky feeling. I
attribute the lack of skier triggering to the lack of cohesiveness in the
slab where we skied, but that could be different in areas with different
slab characteristics, i.e. wind loading or warming for example.

We also saw some recent (typical spring) slab avalanches on the
south-westerly aspects of Observation Peak, which started at ridge line and
ran about 600 meters.

We also took a peak at the beautiful male Grizzly that is hanging out at the
usual “bear-hang” on the CP rails - I’m sure you know where – unfortunately
it’s probably just a matter of time that we’ll read of his demise in the
paper
..

Cheers,

Jorg Wilz