[MCR] Selkirk Mountains, Goat Range, west of Kaslo

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Wed Mar 31 00:49:39 EDT 2010

Went for an exploratory trip up London Ridge today. We skied on a
mostly southern aspect following a series of logging roads. The roads
provided an efficient way to the top, we reached our high point of 2200m
in no time. Ski crampons proved useful as we ascended a crusty rib to
the ridge after we ran out of road.

A sun crust that varied from 10-20cm in thickness was keeping things
together above 1500m. Cooler temps and the insulating effect of the new
snow was keeping the crust solid. Underneath, the snow was isothermal
and wet. I wouldn't want to be around here when the crust finally warms
up and breaks down.

There was new snow from about 1500m and up. On the ridge, the storm
snow varied from almost nil on the crust to 40cm deep in wind pockets.
It seemed to be bonded well to the crust and hadn't formed much of a
slab yet on the south aspects (we didn't get to any northern aspects).
I'd expect it to stiffen up as temperatures rise over the next few days.

It was spring at the highway this morning (+2C) and winter on the ridge
just after noon (-8C) during a squall. We were pinned down at the top
for about half an hour with strong northwesterly winds and blowing
groupel. When it ended, the sun came out and we headed down.

The ski quality was excellent in dusty powder for about the first 3-400m
down before it deteriorated to dust on schmoo. We then slid down the
roads following our skin track for a challenging but uneventful trip
back to the highway.

The London Ridge tour is in big terrain. Some of the roads cross large,
open, avalanche-prone slopes. We weren't sure what to expect today, so
we went with the attitude that we would turn around if things looked
dicey. Fortunately, luck was with us. We had good visibility which
allowed us to choose roads that didn't cross any big slopes, and to
follow a rib that lead us safely to the top of the ridge. The good snow
conditions we found up there (thick, bridging crust, lack of slab in the
storm snow, and the good bond to the crust) allowed us to choose a fun
ski line back down instead of the scratchy, wind-blown but safe rib we
came up. Had these favorable conditions not come together for us, we
would have turned back early and gone home.

Play safe out there.

Craig Hollinger
ACMG Assistant Ski Guide.