[MCR] Rockies, Crowfoot Pass

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Wed Mar 31 20:41:04 EDT 2010

Guided a ski tour to Crowfoot Pass today, March 31. We parked on the
highway and went direct into the drainage to the northwest of Bow
Peak. About 30 cms of new snow. Good travel to treeline. At treeline
we got two large whumpfs and settlements on low angle ground. I could
see no safe way to gain the pass via the large open slopes and bowls
next to Bow Peak so we decided to shoosh back into the trees. There
is a size 1.5 slab avalanche out at treeline on the NW ridge of Bow
Peak. I assume that it was a slab that went during the March 28/29th
storm. I could see another slab out higher up that looked to be the
same deal -March 28,29. While climbing back up to do some yo-yoing I
spotted a small morraine 500 meters to the NW. We traversed along a
bench at treeline to it, and were able to gain the large bench that
leads to Crowfoot Pass by it, with 10 meters of boot pack facette
wallowing (hip deep coarse sugar snow). We toured to Crowfoot Pass
and retraced our tracks down with some fine boot top powder skiing
along the way. Numerous storm slabs size 1-2 out on the big rock wall
NE of Crowfoot Glacier.

www.barryblanchard.ca