[MCR] Icefall Lodge

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Sun May 9 18:14:08 EDT 2010

Just out from a week at Icefall Lodge. It snowed 40-60 cm on May 3 at
tree line and above. This storm snow is sitting on a hard melt freeze
crust and has consolidated into a 30- 40 cm slab. There were several
natural avalanches during the storm. I was able to ski cut several
avalanches from May 4-6 but nothing after that. Two of these were on
north east aspects and one on a west aspect. Below the crust the
snowpack is well frozen and none of the avalanches stepped down.
Temperatures stayed cold during the week with overnight lows of -15 at
9400 feet. The snow is slowly turning back to spring conditions with
corn on south aspects, moist or temperature crust on east and west
(depending on the time of day), and powder on north. There was over
300cm of snow on most of the glaciers with amounts tapering off
rapidly with lower elevations. It is generally good travel conditions
with 0-15 cm ski penetration. I was able to ski down to 4000 feet on a
south aspect and good corn before the snow ran out.

Larry Dolecki
Mountain Guide
www.icefall.ca