[MCR] Rockies- Resplendent/Robson area May 24th, 2010

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Mon May 24 21:31:49 EDT 2010

Skied up Mt. Resplendent today from the Extinguisher Tower bivi site. (We flew in and out from there) Excellent conditions. Melt freeze crust up to 3000m(the base of the Upper Robson cirque below the Mousetrap icefall). From there to the summit ridge approx. 30 cms mostly light snow with bits of wind effect in some places. New snow bonded well to old crust. Hard snow on summit ridge. Excellent ski descent, powder on the steepish upper mtn. and fast very skiable crust on the low angle Robson glacier.

Robson was mostly in cloud but we did observe that the Furher Ridge looked icy, the Moustrap has a ramp up through it to the Dome, but looks REALLY threatened by lots of scary seracs around the "Doughnut Hole". No views of the Kain face but the slopes below the Forster hut on the South face are still deep in snow. Suprisingly, the Berg Lake trail looks almost completely dry. Maybe some snow hidden by the forest canopy up high but the only snow we saw from the air was some short patches above Emperor falls.

Climbed the Extinguisher tower yesterday. It is a bit like climbing a stack of kindling. Can't say I'd recommend it.

Larry Stanier
ACMG/IFMGA Mountain Guide
laristan at telus.net