[MCR] Rockies: Vice President SW Face

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Fri Oct 15 16:54:10 EDT 2010

Erica Roles and I climbed what might be a new route on the SW Face of
the Vice President on October 14 (starting at Emerald Lake). I have a
hard time believing that a local climber from Field hasn't climbed
this obvious line at some time or another but I haven't found a
description of it anywhere. The route compares favourably to Aberdeen
N Glacier and Stanley N Face, with one short section of exposed and
unprotected 4th class that could prove to be challenging for some.

We found excellent conditions, with good snow coverage on the glacier
starting at about 2700 m. The snow from the late summer storms was
bulletproof and crevasse bridging was good. There are areas of ankle
deep soft snow on top of the harder snow but this was getting cooked
in the sun yesterday. The steep pitch on the route was free of snow
and had pretty good sticks for the tools and crampons.

Descent was made via President Pass and then back down to Emerald Lake.

Last night it snowed on the peaks but it is sunny again in Banff and
I doubt conditions will have changed that much.

Mark Klassen
Mountain Guide
www.facebook.com/alpinism for photos and route description