[MCR] Rockies Little Yoho, Mt Whyte

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Sat Sep 18 08:37:14 EDT 2010

Fellow Mountain Guide, Jen Olson, and I guided out of the Stanley
Mitchell Hut in Little Yoho Valley Sept 13-16:

Sept 14 we traversed Isolated Peak, Mt McArthur and Mt Pollinger with
a descent via Kiwetinok Lake. Boot top breakable crust in the am made
for hard work on the glacier. When the crust broke down we were left
with boot top whale blubber, still hard trail breaking. Isolated Peak
and Pollinger were both holding 5-30 cms of snow on the rocks.

Sept 15 we climbed the President in full conditions: wind, snow and
whiteout. Boot top snow on the glacier deepened to knee deep just
below the Vice Pres/Pres Col. Lots of work, but pretty straight
forward access to the col on the right. Good cramponing from the col
to the summit.

Yesterday, Sept 17, we climbed the north ridge of Mt Whyte via the
Lake Agnes approach. Winter comes early to the high country. More
work trail breaking and full winter conditions on the upper ridge
with a fair amount on waist deep trail breaking against the steep walls.

Should be a great ski season if this keeps up.

www.barryblanchard.ca
www.yamnuska.com

Mt McArthur, Sept 14