[MCR] Icefields Conditions

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Tue Sep 21 11:24:08 EDT 2010

Further to Barry's post of the other day. We climbed A2 on Sept 20 with a
Yamnuska group. Probing shows up to 80 cm of accumulated snow on top of the
late August neve. wth an estimated 35 cm being the recent storm snow of this
past week. I did not find any weaknesses or notice any slabbing in this
location. Travel was remarkably good between 8800 and 10000 ft with strong
bridges and minimal poking into crevasses although the trail breaking was
strenuous. Below 8800 it is a different world with thin weak bridges and
enough new snow to make route selection difficult. We did not observe any
slab avalanches although there were sizable and quite audible point releases
draining the steeper faces, especially during periods of thin cloud when the
radiation had more effect.

James

James Blench

www.jamesblench.ca