[MCR] Rockies, Wapta Icefields

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Sun Sep 26 09:20:42 EDT 2010

Hey All,

Just back from 5 days on the Wapta.

First half of the trip we spent at the Peyto Hut. On the 21st when we first
arrived there was snow to valley bottom, which had pulled back up to around
~7500ft. or so, on the more solar aspects by the time we'd descended from
the Bow Hut yesterday morning. Temperatures were a bit all over the place
spanning from -8*C to +8*C during the trip, but mostly on the cooler side.
Lots of consistent wind values in the moderate to strong range all week.
Snow coverage reached down to the toe of both the Peyto and Bow Glaciers and
we found anywhere from 40cm's to 100cm's or so overlying the ice up on the
Icefield itself. Climbed Mt. Habel (Rhondda N.) and pretty happy to have a
track in place that had already set up a bit, otherwise outside the track
Boot Pen. was up to about 50cm's or so in the basin around Peyto Hut.
Crossing over towards Bow the heavier wind affect had stiffened up the upper
snowpack a bit a made for a bit easier travel, the same for climbing Mt
Olive the following day. A bit surprised as to how well bridged the
crevasses were up there, only managed to poke my foot through one little guy
on the way back to the Bow Hut one night down near the toe of the ice. Boot
pen on the way over to Mt. Olive was no more than 40cm's - and not too
spooky with the good bridging. The headwall immediately S/SE of the Bow Hut
was spitting off some small point releases yesterday morning probably to go
along with a warming trend overnight, but that's all we saw for avalanche
activity all week.

Have fun out there!

Mike Trehearne

ACMG - Assistant Alpine Guide