[MCR] Rockies- Cirque Peak and Storm Mountain

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Fri Apr 1 22:32:48 EDT 2011

Spent the past two days skiing a couple of classic Rockies tours. Yesterday,
March 31, we went up Cirque Peak. The route itself was in decent condition
but the day was windy and white. The upper mountain was wind scoured and
required the usual boot packing. From the top, we skied the north facing
couloir to the glacier and wrapped around the peak to Dolomite Pass. The
couloir was rocky at first but provided good skiing after about 20 meters.
We did not probe the glacier but there seemed to be a substantial amount of
snow. Storm snow measured between 20 - 50 cms but, apart from some sloughing
in the couloir, was not reactive to skier traffic.

Today, April 1st, we skied and bootpacked up Storm Mountain. The route
features a large and intimidating south slope that would not be a happy
place if the sun were out. Luckily for us, the sun stayed hidden all day and
temps remained cool. Storm snow in the area ranged from 10 - 30 cms and the
skiing was surprisingly good. There was lots of debris from a previous cycle
covering much of the lower mountain and the snowpack ranged from dust on
crust to typical Rockies facets near the rocks. A buried suncrust was
present but the snow sitting on top had not yet formed a widespread slab. We
skinned to about 2800 meters and bootpacked on windscoured rocks and snow to
the summit. A sizable cornice was present on the summit ridge.

Conditions are sure to change dramatically with tomorrow's snowfall so best
to be conservative this weekend.

Cheers,
Andrew
--