[MCR] South Coast Conditions - March 25 - April 2

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Mon Apr 4 00:11:02 EDT 2011

This is info gathered from the ACMG Assistant Ski Guide’s Exam in the
Whistler / Duffey area – March 25 – April 2

Our week started at the end of a long period of stable, spring
weather with preserved cold snow on North aspects at Treeline and in
the Alpine and suncrusts to ridgecrest on solar aspects. Melt freeze
crusts were on all aspects below 1200m.

March 31 deposited up to 30cm new snow in the Whistler area and 15cm
inland at Alpine elevations. Strong southerly winds built windslabs
on North facing ridgelines and open features at Treeline and in the
Alpine and the new snow was slow to bond to the suncrusts.

We were cautious of traveling in wind loaded areas and on steep
terrain where the surcrust was buried. Cornices were a major concern
requiring careful navigation. Also, we remained conscious of rising
freezing levels to mitigate thaw instabilities in the afternoons. We
found good skiing on sheltered North through East aspects.

Craig McGee – MG
Mark Klassen – MG
Matt Peter - MG