[MCR] Columbia Mountains, Rogers Pass

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Thu Apr 7 11:39:37 EDT 2011

My Fellow Guide, Matt Mueller, and I were camped with a group on the
treed benches below the Triangle Moraine from Sunday April 3rd until
Wednesday April 6th. It snowed pretty much the whole time from Sunday
afternoon until Wednesday morning. 10 to 20 cms of new snow every 24
hours. Lots of clearing snow away from our tents.

We found a resistant planar shear yielding hard results on
compression tests, and a hard result that did not propagate on an
extended column test (http://www.youtube.com/watch?
v=rwXW7NIzlBo&feature=related). Both tests produced this resistant
planar shear down about 70 cms on April 4th, I'd guess this layer to
be down about 1 meter now.

We skied multiple runs on the Triangle Moraine slope and made a tour
to the Asulkan Hut, and onto Asulkan Pass, on April 5th. Skies were
overcast and obscured for most of our stay. We didn't venture too
high, or very steep.

The skiing was really good.

UIAGM/IFMGA Mountain Guide
http://www.barryblanchard.ca