[MCR] Rockies: Wapta Traverse

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Sat Apr 9 23:18:08 EDT 2011

We skied the Bow-Sherbrooke Traverse April 6-9.

Clear skies with no new snow on the trip (we didn't get the Canmore/
Kananaskis storm). Moderate to strong westerlies at ridgetop on April
8 with some light wind loading as a result. Temperatures below
freezing on the glaciers with minimal solar effect.

We saw the remains of several large avalanches that must have
occurred just after the heavy snowfalls at the beginning of April.
Deep slabs that ran on steep east aspects and were triggered by
cornice falls (Onionskin, Ayesha, Balfour N Ridge). No new avalanches
observed in our time up there.

We turned the Balfour crevasses on the right side near the east face.
No crevasse issues there. Another track went through the crevasses
close to the rock wall so that works as well. Pick your poison!

Cornices on Niles are large but not as big as they normally are this
time of year.

Miserable sun crust on the upper Sherbrooke descent.

Although a work crew had been up to the Scott Duncan the propane was
still not working properly and we used the Coleman stove. There is a
bit of white gas up there but you better bring some.

Mark Klassen