[MCR] Rockies-Waterfowl Lakes area BJ Highway april 14th, 2011

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Fri Apr 15 13:10:24 EDT 2011

Skied west of Waterfowl Lakes, south of Howse peak yesterday. Mediocre freeze overnight and a grey blustery day with around 5 cm of new snow.

Good travelling in the morning but the freeze was falling apart in the afternoon and we had some rough stumbling on a gentle west aspect back to the car. Great skiing on sheltered north aspects below treeline. Crust under the dust on anything remotely leaning in to the sun.

There was lots of wind and snow blowing around up in the fog. Lots of sloughing off the big faces and I am guessing the louder rumbles were cornice failures. 1 big serac avalanche in the past week or so had picked up a bunch of snow and broken some lake ice. Impressive.

Generally excellent spring conditions-if and when it clears for a few days the big line corn skiing could be awesome!

Larry Stanier
ACMG/IFMGA Mountain Guide
laristan at telus.net