[MCR] Bugaboos Ski Conditions

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Sat Apr 16 19:35:30 EDT 2011

The ACMG Full Ski Exam just wrapped up with three excellent days in the
Bugaboos. Here is a brief summary of what we observed. Perhaps it will be
useful information for the Bugs - Rogers Pass crowd.

We flew in to Applebee on April 12 and flew out on April 15. When we
arrived, the area had just received 40 - 60 cms of snow in the alpine that
was bonding well. During our stay, another 30 cms came in with moderate to
strong west winds. We saw surprisingly little avalanche activity with the
exception of a few small size 1 skier accidentals that failed within the
upper storm snow. We also observed one size 2 natural below the east face of
Bugaboo Spire.

Our main avalanche concerns were: 1) variable soft slabs in alpine, lee
features, 2) storm snow overlying buried suncrusts, 3) large cornices.

Temps remained cool and the freezing level did not rise above 2000 meters.
Probing on the glacier consistently revealed over 350 cms. Travel conditions
were generally excellent with 10 - 30 cms ski pen.

We skied fairly aggressively in the alpine, descending the Northpost Couloir
on two consecutive days and descending the Bugaboo - Snowpatch Col on all
three days. There were also two Bugs - Rogers Pass ski groups that started
the traverse while we were in the area. They both skinned up the Bugaboo -
Snowpatch Col and skied down through Bill's Pass.

The Bugaboos are still in Winter's wintry grip.

Have fun!
Andrew

Marc Piche - examiner
Greg Golovach - examiner