[MCR] Yak Peak - Yak Check

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Mon Aug 1 00:24:18 EDT 2011

Seems like the weather has started to go more towards the better side lately, so yesterday I took a guest up Yak Check on Yak Peak. Beautiful, perfect sunny weather and no other climbers. Short section of snow to cross at the base, and on descent a large section of steep snow to get from the saddle of the two sub summits to the trail, but it was quite soft in the afternoon, so we got by with out an ice axe-if you found this firm/frozen it would feel exciting in running shoes. The route was bone dry, except for maybe 1 wet hold, which was quite a pleasant surprise. All stations are 2 bolt anchors, however on the bottom half of the route, with the newer anchors, many of the nuts were a bit loose on the bolts after a winter of freeze-thaw. I didn't have a wrench with me, so not a bad idea to bring one and tighten a few of them. Of note, if there are any bored good Samaritans out there, the second half of the route could use a re-bolting job. Also, the rest area on the Yak side of the highway is close, but you can still park on the opposite side of the highway and walk thru the tunnel.

Evan Stevens

Mountain Guide

evanstevens at gmail.com
http://evanstevens.blogspot.com