[MCR] Colgan Hut area

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Tue Aug 16 13:25:30 EDT 2011

We found good travel conditions in the area Aug. 12-15 around the Neil
Colgan hut. The Schiesser ledges approach seems to be less travelled these
days. The trail is indistinct in places so we had to look around for cairns,
faint trails and the famous orange dots on the rock. Our party and another
party of 8 behind us have now scuffed in the trail pretty well. The chain
stations are in good order. There is still one small patches of snow to deal
with near the top.

Minimal overnight freezes left a skin of crust on the snow surface, and foot
pen on the face of Mt Little was 20-40 cm, making for nice buckets.

We woke up to 5 cm new snow on Monday Aug. 15 and descended the Perren route
in a wet snow storm. The new snow was already starting to melt at the hut
level, and seemed to be sticking well on the ice. There may be some pockets
of drifted snow up high to watch for.

Helen Sovdat