[MCR] Valhalla Provincial Park, Southern Selkirk's

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Sat Aug 20 02:37:21 EDT 2011

Hi All,

I spent the last four days on a trekking traverse between Gwillim Lakes and Mulvey Basin in Valhalla Provincial Park. We travelled from Drinnon Pass overland to Valhalla Lake and eventually Mulvey Basin via the steep Asgard-Midgard col. Before heading out via the Gimli col today we made an ascent of Asgard Peak via the regular East face route.

Overall the conditions in this area are getting drier and more August like. There is still plenty of well settled winter snow on North facing terrain but solar aspects are shedding snow quickly and looking more seasonal. The small amount of snow we got early last week has already melted. Snow travel was good but very firm in the the mornings due to overnight freezing temperatures.

With hard snow conditions, the well traveled Gimli col would probably require crampons in the AM. We did not bring crampons on this trip and had to carefully time our snow travel. There are only a few snow patches left on the East face of Asgard, we managed to ascend this entirely on rock. We had a look at the regular descent route on Gimli and it looks snow free.

Cheers,

David Lussier
ACMG-IFMGA Mountain Guide
www.summitmountainguides.com