[MCR] Rogers Pass

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Thu Dec 1 22:25:24 EST 2011

Good skiing again on a couple of laps in Macdonald West Shoulder/NRC Gully today. I've also had a report of good skiing on Dome Glacier and another group of friends went to Little Sifton although I'm not sure if they made it over today.

There was a widespread cycle of very large avalanches (to size 4.5) during the last storm cycle but I talked to one of the avalanche forecasters at the end of the day and he hadn't seen anything new in highway corridor. The surface hoar that was an issue awhile back also seems to be dormant for the time being at least in the areas I've been skiing recently - mostly trees.

That said, it sounded as if there was an incident in the Connaught valley, perhaps in the Grizzly Mtn/upper Grizzly Bowl area. This would go with the observations we made in that open areas at treeline and above have had recent wind effect and wind slabs are a probability up there.

As is usually the case, if you go where the snow is soft with quality skiing and avoid areas where the wind has got at it making the skiing crap you may well also avoid the major avalanche problems right now.

Mark Klassen
IFMGA/ACMG Mountain Guide
www.alpinism.com/SORCERER-LODGE