[MCR] Selkirk Mountains - Dome Glacier - Rogers Pass Dec.2/2011

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Fri Dec 2 22:06:35 EST 2011

Just to add a little to Rudi's excellent summary.

I noticed a significant and hard raincrust a few hundred meters above
Asulkan Brook while descending from the Dome Glacier today (lucked out and
managed to hit a break in the fog in the late afternoon). There is currently
about 30cms of low density snow overlying this crust which lacks any slab
properties at this point, but still possible to trigger loose snow sloughs
on the steeper slopes near the bottom of the descent.

I just wanted to put this in people's minds for when it receives more load
and or develops a significant slab - it is the kind of thing that might
catch you unawares as it doesn't exist much higher and when descending the
Dome those last pitches to the valley are quite steep.

As Rudi mentioned the skiing is quite good with an additional 10-15cms of
low density snow from last night's system.

Have a great weekend,

Cheers,

Scott Davis