[MCR] Bow Summit, Banff Park Dec 3

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Sat Dec 3 19:05:30 EST 2011

Out for a couple laps at Bow Summit today, December 3. We noted the recent avalanche on Observation Peak that Chris just reported.

53 cm of snow at treeline. Supportive skiing with good snow quality in the trees, but wind affected surface above treeline. -8 deg at 1:30 pm, light north wind. Moderate compression tests results down 25 cm. Hard compression test at the ground on large depth hoar. No whumphing or reactivity to ski cutting on the supported slopes that we stayed on.

With all the recent wind in the alpine there are probably some windslabs that are just waiting for a skier or climber to trigger it, with potential for wide propagation and failure to ground, just like the natural avalanche across the highway on Observation Peak.

Jordy Shepherd
ACMG / IFMGA Mountain Guide
www.PeakAlpine.com