[MCR] kananaskis

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Wed Dec 7 00:00:37 EST 2011

Hello,

My bro and I climbed the sub-peak to the NE of Mount Burstall today, tuesday
Dec6th.

3 things I feel are pertinent:

1)We observed a class 3.5 slab avalanche. I estimate this avalanche
occurred 12-24 hours ago. The slide initiated at 2625m on the NE side of
the summit of Mount Burstall. Some of the debris ran down towards burstall
pass-trail(to the NW) and the other half of the debris ran to valley
bottom(2050m) in French Creek (to the ESE)

2)There was alot of wind transported snow today due to mod to strong WSW
winds. The lee alpine faces were streaming with spindrift that was piling
up on the slopes below the faces; This will be building large windslabs.

3)off-trail travel was surprisingly supportive.

Neil Warren
ACMG ASG, DHG

www.alpinethreadworks.com